As you are caring for another, you are likely experiencing many emotions, positive and negative. Journaling can be a healing practice that can encourage positivity and good health.
When you journal or write down your thoughts and feelings, you can:
- gain new insights as you give yourself time to reflect
- organize your thoughts
- express feelings that you feel you may not be able to share with another
- increase your confidence as a caregiver as you are able to look back and see all you’ve learned as a caregiver
Don’t know where to start? Try one of these prompts to begin your journaling journey:
- What were you most grateful for today?
- Was today a difficult day? If so, why was it difficult and how can you try to move forward tomorrow?
- What can you learn from your caregiver experience?
- What is your favorite part about caregiving?
- How did you make a difference in your loved one’s life today?
- What could others do to help you make your job easier?
- What encouraging words would you like to say to yourself?
We challenge you to get a notepad or journal and begin journaling today. This simple, but meaningful, practice may be a soothing exercise for you each day as you are caring for a loved one.