This week, Hospice World’s Road Trip Across the USA made a pit stop in The Big Apple…New York City!
Fun Facts About NYC:
- NYC is made up of five boroughs: Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Four of the five boroughs are located on islands. Manhattan and Staten Island are their own islands. Queens and Brooklyn are in the western tip of Long Island. The Bronx is the only borough located on the mainland.
- NYC is the largest city in the United States. The city has about 8.5 million residents.
- NYC is the most linguistically diverse city in the world with residents speaking about 800 languages.
- The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France to the US in 1886 and was built by Gustave Eiffel. It was shipped in 350 pieces in more than 200 crates to commemorate the centennial celebration of America.
- The Empire State Building is celebrating it’s 90th anniversary. This modern marvel was constructed in only one year and 45 days.
- Housing is expensive in NYC! The average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment is $3,000 per month.
- Absolute Bagel is known as one of the most famous bagel shops in the city. Stop here for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Congratulations to the NYC trivia winner, David Caughron!
- What was not invented in NYC? the calzone
- NYC boasts a 520-mile coastline.
- A yellow cab with an illuminated lights means the taxi is available for hire.
- The first name of NYC was New Amsterdam.