Week 2 Answers:
- In order to be eligible for hospice services, Medicare/Medicaid (CMS) requires that the individual must have a terminal illness with a life expectancy of ______ or less, if the terminal illness runs its normal course.
- The following services must be provided by Hospice of the Piedmont employees:
D. Physician, Nursing, Medical Social Work, and Counseling services (including bereavement, spiritual, and dietary)
Volunteers are not employees of the agency. Transportation and Medication services are provided by third party vendors such as EMS and Optum.
- Hospice of the Piedmont is also required to offer which other services to meet the unique needs of patients/families?
D. All of the above (Hospice Aide and Homemaker services, Volunteer services, and Physical/Occupational/Speech Therapy Services)
Not all patients will need or request these services but they must be available and offered to all patients in order to meet their individual needs.
- Hospice of the Piedmont must also provide:
C. Medications, medical supplies, and durable medical equipment.
Patients/Families may be given referral information for sitter services but sitter services are not covered by the Hospice Medicare Benefit. Notary services are offered to assist with completing advance directives but this is a courtesy we provide to our community and is not a Medicare requirement. Car maintenance would be nice.
- Hospice Volunteers must provide total service hours that equal at least 5% of the total patient care hours provided by paid hospice employees and contract staff combined.
Volunteer services are a calculated requirement and the agency also must show the actual cost savings achieved by using volunteers.
Thanks for playing along. Look for our next ACHC Trivia Challenge, Week 3: Personnel Requirements!