Holistic Approach to Self-Care While Grieving
Self-care is the holistic approach to caring for yourself physically, intellectually, socially, spiritually, and emotionally.
The following coping strategies are some of the ways that you can practice self-care when grieving.
- Exercise to relieve stress
- Eat a healthy diet
- Drink more water
- Rest when needed
- Write about your feelings
- Cry when you feel like crying
- Use creative ways to express feelings
- Read short articles or books
- Avoid major changes the first year if possible
- Delay making major decisions for the first year if possible
- Read literature to educate yourself about grief and loss
- Socialize with people who are supportive of your grief process
- Ask for and accept help when offered
- Give yourself permission to withdraw when needed
- Email, text, or call supportive people
- Schedule quiet time for reflection each day
- Listen to a guided meditation
- Connect with nature
- Visualize yourself in a peaceful place
We can help. Call the Grief Counseling Center in High Point at 336.889.8446 or in Asheboro at 336.672.9300 during regular business hours and ask to speak with our bereavement team.